Tapping into the innate power of your mind by consciously choosing the thoughts you think enables you to transform your attitude from misery, anger, frustration and displeasure to happiness, satisfaction and pleasure in the amount of time it takes to have a new thought.
A Pleasure List, is a simple list of the people, places, things and activities that result in an experience of pleasure when you think about them or do them. Simply focusing your full attention on an item on your Pleasure List will instantly alter your experience.
Some of my Pleasure List items are:
- My dog
- The sound of my grandchild’s voice
- A walk on the beach
- A bubble bath
- Sunset over the water
How I Used My Pleasure List
I was feeling frustrated and angry with myself for not sticking to eating healthy food and exercising regularly. I was annoyed that I was still dealing with the weight I had to lose. This frustration was getting in the way of my happiness and leading me directly to the kitchen where I began searching the fridge and cupboards for stuff to eat.
I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave. As I waited for it to pop, I grabbed a spoon and opened the freezer, ready to inhale a scoop of creamy chocolaty ice cream. As I felt the cold pint of ice cream in my hand, I heard myself say aloud, “What are you doing? This isn’t going to help you take off those extra pounds!”
I immediately took a deep breath and thought, ‘I’m going to focus on my Plea- sure List.’ I imagined the sound of my grandsons’ 4 year old voice and the special way he says, Thank You “Kank You.” My face burst into a smile. I put the ice cream back into the freezer, without having inhaled it or even removing the lid. I left the popcorn in the microwave. I took an apple and left the kitchen, feeling good about the choice I made to support my commitment to love my body.
How to Create Your Own Pleasure List
- Make a list of the people, places and things that bring a smile to your face
- Make a list of the things you like to do that bring you pleasure.
- Keep your completed Pleasure List handy – write items from it on Post-Its and place it on your bathroom mirror, fridge, car dashboard, anyplace where it will capture your attention.
- The next time you notice you need an attitude adjustment to jump start a sense of happiness, read your Pleasure List.
- Focus your attention on imagining a particular item on your list or doing a specific pleasurable activity from your list.